Do-It-Yourself and Professional Teeth Whitening – Which Is Best?
If your teeth appear yellow or brown due to coffee, tea, and wine stains, your age, or your tobacco habits, your self-confidence might be lacking. Fortunately, you have several options for getting your gorgeous smile back. Over-the-counter treatments don’t cost much, and they can produce good results if your teeth are moderately discolored. These products include whitening toothpastes, strips, and brush-on gels. If you have intense staining, chairside teeth bleaching can provide immediate and dramatic results. Your dentist can also create custom whitening trays, so you can whiten your teeth gradually at home.
How Does At-Home Teeth Whitening Work?
Teeth whitening toothpastes remove stains through the actions of chemical agents and mild abrasives that polish surface stains away. Abrasive toothpaste can lighten your teeth by about one shade. Whitening strips and brush-on gels contain bleaching agents that lighten teeth gradually over a period of days or weeks. Tray-based systems use a similar bleaching method and may be purchased over the counter or through your dentist.
How Does Professional Teeth Bleaching Work?
Professional teeth whitening procedures use stronger bleaching agents and involve several additional steps. A protective gel or dental guard is placed over your gums before the product is applied to your teeth. The effects of the bleach are enhanced by the application of heat or a special laser light. Results are immediate and dramatic; teeth can be lightened up to seven shades with some treatments.
Professional Teeth Whitening vs. Over-the-Counter Whitening Products
- Over-the-counter products use only 10% peroxide concentrations compared to professional teeth whitening systems, which use up to 43%.
- Over-the-counter products are inexpensive and readily available; professional teeth bleaching services cost significantly more.
- Professional teeth whitening systems include a custom tray created by impressions of your teeth to ensure maximum contact with the bleaching agent.
- Many in-office procedures can produce immediate, dramatic results in an hour or less. At-home treatments must be used for several weeks to achieve maximum results.
- Professionally supervised teeth bleaching offers additional benefits like treatment of tooth sensitivity caused by whitening agents and personalized results for patients with restorations or complex dental histories.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Westland, call Gentle Dental of Westland today at (734) 329-5284 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Westland. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Michigan, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Westland, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Westland.